No matter what the reasons, when you feel like giving up, DON’T. You are not alone. We are here to listen and help.
Please call 602-248-8336 (TEEN) or 800-248-8336 (TEEN) as soon as possible.
If you’re an adult in crisis, you can find hope by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
We all have problems, some big and some small. But sometimes we need a little help to get through them. Someone to talk to who will really understand. When you’re ready, trained peer counselors are just a call away.
If you aren’t ready to call, here are some tips to help you get through when things are getting tough:
Put yourself and your health first:
- Get enough sleep so that you are relaxed when the day’s challenges hit.
- Eat right. Eating the right foods will help you concentrate better and not become overwhelmed if the day starts to take a turn. Try to stay away from too many sweets, salts or fatty foods.
- Work out! Although it might be hard to motivate yourself to get outside or head to the gym, it is a healthy way to release pent up anger! Start slow if you need to.
- Take a break. If you are feeling overwhelmed, remove yourself from the situation briefly so that you can take a minute to close your eyes and breathe. The break will help clear your head so that you can look at your problem with a clearer mind.
- Avoid self-medicating with alcohol or other drugs.
Make a plan as to how to manage stress:
- Avoid criticism – look for the good in situations and people.
- Know and accept your personal limits. Don’t feel worry, guilt or fear if anyone pushes them.
- Don’t procrastinate – you may cause yourself more stress in the end.
- Learn to accept what you cannot change – don’t fight the inevitable.
- Develop back-up plans in case something happens.
- Learn to change your self-talk and think positively about yourself and others. Practice affirmations or positive things every day!
- Take time for yourself every day to be alone and relax.
Connect with those around you:
- Find an adult you can trust and tell them how you are feeling.
- Be honest with yourself and them. Do not be scared that they will judge you for how you are feeling.
- Surround yourself with people who add positivity to your life, not more stress.
- Try to openly and honestly communicate with your parents, or whatever adults are in your life.
If you are having trouble identifying someone to talk to, Teen Lifeline is always here for you, to listen and to help. You are not alone. 602-248-8336 (TEEN) or statewide in Arizona at 800-248-8336 (TEEN)