We’re here to help!
We all have problems, some big and some small. Sometimes we need a little help to get through them, someone to talk to who will really understand. When you’re ready, trained peer counselors are just a call away.
Tips for Managing Stress
If you aren’t ready to call and talk to us, here are some things you can do to help get through when things are getting tough.
Put yourself and your health first:
Get enough sleep so that you are relaxed and refreshed when the day’s challenges hit.
Eat right. Eating the right foods will help you concentrate better and not become overwhelmed as easily. Try to stay away from too many sweets, salts or fatty foods.
Work out! Although it might be hard to motivate yourself to get outside or head to the gym, it is a healthy way to release pent-up anger.
Take a break. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, remove yourself from the situation briefly. This can help clear your head so you can look at your problem with a new perspective.
Avoid self-medicating with alcohol or other drugs.
Make a plan as to how to manage stress:
- Focus on the positive – look for the good in situations and people.
- Learn to change your self-talk and think positively about yourself and others. Practice saying positive things to yourself every day!
- Know and accept your personal limits. Your boundaries should be respected, and you don’t need to feel worry, guilt or fear if anyone pushes them.
- Don’t procrastinate – you may cause yourself more stress in the end.
- Learn to accept what you cannot change – don’t fight the inevitable.
- Develop back-up plans in case something happens.
- Take time for yourself every day to be alone and relax. Do things you enjoy.
Connect with those around you:
- Find an adult you can trust and tell them how you are feeling.
- Be honest with yourself and them. Do not be scared that they will judge you for how you are feeling.
- Surround yourself with people who add positivity to your life, not more stress.
- Try to openly and honestly communicate with your parents, or whatever adults are in your life.